CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Going Under

Today Alli had a first (and hopefully a last for a long while) by having an experience with total anesthesia. Ryan wanted me to make a post, but it's kind of a lame one since there aren't pictures or videos. She just needed some dental work done so nothing too major, but since she's young this was their only option. It was worth it to me to pay the extra 400.00 to not have her screaming and being tied down to a board the whole time. So we went in this afternoon and I am glad we didn't wait any longer because one of them ended up being a root canal (which made me extra glad she was just out not just numbed). So the anesthesiologist gave her a shot while she was on my lap and the nurse held a container of toys for her to pick from. She did great, cried for less than a minute when she was realizing the shot was hurting and then was just really calm and finally her eyes went glazed and it was soo weird to watch! Ryan and I were sitting there, I was holding her, but she was just looking around and had no idea who we were or where she was or anything. The dental anesthesiologist came and carried her back and I thought she'd protest or make a sound or something since she was being taken from me, but nothing. They told us it would take them about an hour and I've been sicker the last couple days (before the nausea was starting to go away) and I hadn't eaten much this morning since she couldn't eat so after a bit of waiting I went to get some food quickly while she was back. We came back and the nurse said I could go back, but turns out they were finished but the anesthesiologist was still unhooking things and monitoring so I saw everything she was hooked up to and then he told me to wait a couple minutes and come back. I was amazed (but soo glad) that she was hooked up to so many things. She had an i.v. (which we knew), a mask over her nose, monitors on her chest and hands and a couple other tubes. I went back out and was figuring out the payment stuff and I heard her cry so then she was starting to come out and I could go back. The poor little thing had no idea what was going on or where she was and she just kept crying and crying (like until we left the office and the whole drive home). She usually sits so great in her seat, but on the way home she managed to get both arms out of their straps, but finally as we were getting closer she was getting calmer so I could ask her questions and she'd answer in between her sobs. She has liked watching a Berenstein Bears movie so when we got out of the car she requested "bears" and "hold me" so we sat and she zoned in and out on the couch for a bit as she calmed down, drank some juice, and then fell asleep. She "woke up" once and said "look" "there", but there wasn't anything there. She noticed her band-aid from the i.v. and I asked what happened. She told me daddy did it to her. Then later she said it was from a crash so obviously she has no clue.
*** Edit 6/7- So Lately Alli think this whole experience was about the coolest thing ever. She wakes up most mornings telling us about the dentist, teeth fixed, doctor, shot, and most importantly for her SPARKLY (and Shiny) teeth. She loves showing us her sparkly teeth and loves to see any sparkly stuff we have in our mouths.

No comments: