CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Studmuffin

At the St. George marathon Ryan had mentioned that he would like to run a marathon, but then thought better of it and decided a half marathon would be a better starting goal so he could "see how much he hated that." We saw an ad for a Halloween half marathon in Provo so Ryan figured that would be a fun one. A few weeks went by and nothing happened so I asked if he wanted me to sign him up-he thought I said I already had, but when I clarified he was okay with doing it. Later that week I finally got around to signing him up, but he was at a Scout Camp with the 11 year old scouts so less than 2 weeks before he broke out his running shoes and started "training". His training consisted of 3 runs from 3-4 miles up to a whopping 8.5. My mom also signed up so they headed over to Provo and took the shuttle up to the start. Alli and I made it for the end and saw Ryan with a half-mile or so to go.
Alli was pretty excited to see him, especially when he picked her up. She loved cheering for him and telling him "good job dad!"


I don't remember what he was telling me in the picture, but whatever it was makes him look a lot more worn down than he did. :)
She informed me after he passed us "He is doing a good job running all by himself." Then we watched for my mom after unsuccessfully trying to see Ryan finish and she cruised on by without hearing us cheering for her. Alli was so excited to "Run with Grandma".

They both finished with impressive times. Ryan was aiming for around 1:45 or so and his time was 1:32 so it broke down to about about a pretty quick 7:15 per mile! He ended up 19th (out of like 180?) in his age group. My mom won her age group with a time of about 1:50 (I don't remember the exact time, all I know is they both were faster than me!).


We will see when Ryan decides he is going to do another running event, but someday he is thinking it'd be fun to actually train and push himself to see what he can do-I would be curious to see how fast he really would be, but for now he is happy with his single half marathon.

2 comments:

Cori said...

Good job ryan, way to rock it with out really training!! And Alli looks so cute in her costume!!

Christyn and Paul said...

Way to go Ryan you look great after that run. Isn't it a great feeling to have your daughter cheering for you.