CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Chicago

The last few years Ryan has wanted to attend an expo that is held in Chicago.  This year he determined it would be good for him to go and then asked if I wanted to come along.  I was worried leaving the kids, but I really felt good about it and it would only be 2 nights so I thought it was manageable.  I told him I would go but kept telling myself that if it didn't work out I would just stay here like usual and I kept preparing as much as I possibly could! It ended up being such a busy time for us-LPM recital right after we got back and then having special visitors the day after we got back! But it was great.

Our view once up in the air-so pretty and so amazing!
 Ryan's view once I was seated :).  This mama needs more sleep!
 Just off the train from the airport and on our way to drop off our stuff at the hotel to head to Wrigley Field.
 Ryan was so excited for this game!

 Such a fun day at a really cool and beautiful ballpark!!
 My yummy hotdog during the game...I ate quite a few those few days!.



 Dinner at Lou's Friday night.
 After dinner we wanted to see some of the famous sights.  This is the "bean".


 There was a Nike store on the "Mag Mile" next to our hotel where we did a little shopping.

 And there was a Ghiradelli store.  I love me some delicious ice cream!
 Saturday we went to the expo and then for dinner decided on another place close to our hotel-Mike Ditka's steakhouse.  We sat at a table upstairs and I look behind Ryan at this table and immediately recognize Mike.  I point this out to Ryan who turns around to see and he was quite surprised to see that I was indeed correct.  So as we ate we (I) watched multiple people come up to take pictures with him and he seemed pretty cool with it all.  Ryan determined that he would be most likely to accept a picture request if I asked and since we were next to the stairs as he left his table he'd come right past us-plan made.  so as he started to leave I said "Hey Coach, can we get a picture?" and he responded "Well I've been hoping all night that you'd ask." So made my (and Ryan's) night that he was such a cool, friendly guy! Ryan joked that with our luck maybe we should have eaten at Michael Jordan's steakhouse we had seen the night before ;).
 After our delicious dinner we took a bus and headed to Navy Pier.  To add to our great timing we found out on the bus that they were having fireworks that night.  We got there just a few minutes before they started.
 We went on the ferris wheel and a guy happened to be setting (and while we were standing in line he completed it) the Guiness World Record for longest continual ferris wheel ride.  He was going to go for another 12 hours though and apparently you get a 5 minute break each hour to be off the ferris wheel.  It became not quite as impressive.
 
 His cart was super decked out-tv, tons of food and wine etc.


 Then we headed back via pedi-cab which really ended up making us feel so guilty for the wonderful life we have! We were going to walk back to the bus stop and take that back to our hotel or at least to the street we were on and then walk the rest of the way back but he told us to hop on his cart and at first we turned him down but he said it was free-just whatever our tip would be so we figured it would be worth it.  Well this poor guy hauled our butts on this essentially big bike trailer.  He was going up a gradual hill and I feel so bad that he was pulling us! We had gotten talking and asking him questions and his background is he is from Slovakia or Slovenia and he has a bachelor's degree and is an economist.  But there are no jobs so he left and came to Chicago to try to make enough money to support his wife and 5 year old son who are back home.  He has been here for 6 months and skypes with his family, but since he is on a work visa they can't come.  It just broke my heart thinking of living like that! Anyway so then Sunday we checked out and took our bags to the show and checked them in there and walked the show.  It was fun both days working with Ryan and seeing how he talks to people and what he does when he goes to these expos! Then it was time to head to the airport and come home to our babies who had been having a mostly great time at home! Alli had a little rough time each day and Ilene was happy until Sunday night when she started wondering when I would be back...Alli's worst time was Friday.  In the afternoon she had a hard time but the babysitter was able to distract her with going for ice cream :).  Then that night she really lost it when they were getting her to sleep because I had left presents for each day and one for that day was a new book that I had recorded reading-bad idea!! Once the book was up she did okay.  I am so so thankful for the 3 ladies who took care of my precious little kids! Becka watched them during the day Friday, Sabrina came Friday night and was here the rest of the time, and my mom came in and basically saved the day Friday night, took the girls Saturday evening, got everyone to sleep Saturday night and then had them at church and most of the rest of the day/evening/bedtime Sunday.  Without them this definitely would not have been possible! I stressed so much the month before this trip hoping it would go smoothly for everyone and I am so thankful it went well! The girls loved their special prizes each morning and it was cute when they would call to get their clue for where to find the package! The first morning's was on the table since we just left early.  Saturday and Sunday they were in my backpack zipped up and in my closet.  They got some treats/special snacks each day and some new toys like a special water sprayer toy for outside, legos, color wonder coloring books, etc.  It was so nice to get some rest and have some free time! Saturday morning I totally missed my alarm going off so when Ryan's went off he tried to wake me up but I was so far gone he thought perhaps I was dead! It is such a beautiful city and I really loved the whole trip!!






1 comment:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

What a fun trip!!! Glad you got to get away for a few days and get some much needed rest! I LOVE that picture of you sleeping on the airplane!