1 month ago
Thursday, June 6, 2013
Swimming Lessons
I have this fear of one of my kids drowning. I am super vigilant, but it really only takes a split second and sometimes try as I may these 3 circus performers get the best of me :). When I heard about a lady who teaches survival swimming lessons at her parents' house a few blocks from us I immediately wanted Cam and Ilene in them. Alli is pretty decent in the water, but I wanted those little babies to have some more skills. I was fairly skeptical of how much Cam would actually be able to do seeing as he is only 10 months old, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. I am so impressed with how much he learned! He didn't like lessons (he loves water, but it has to be warm and this was slightly cool but definitely not cold and he always ended up being slightly tired or super tired during his lesson) and pretty well the entire 10 minute lesson he was either fussing or crying with only a few breaks playing with the toys and when he went under the water ;). But he wasn't protesting really and he was doing what he was supposed to-it was like he just wanted to make sure we knew he didn't like it-funny boy! At the beginning he obviously would swallow water when he went under and couldn't turn himself to his back, but by the end he was closing his mouth when he would start to go under, turning onto his back ON HIS OWN and getting into his safe/float position-crying all the way. The teacher (Jamie) would sit him on the side and gently pull his hands so he came in and then he would do the work on his own and get flipped over. And a few days before it was over he was in the bath with Ilene (bad parenting coming right up!) and I was getting dressed so I was in the closet right by the tub, but not just sitting and watching my baby in the bath with more water than he usually has and I heard a sound so I go to the tub to check and he was truly on his back, legs out, eyes super wide open-like "What the heck happened" and mouth opening and closing, but he was totally floating like he is supposed to! Anyway, Ilene does really well too, but she fights it a bit more. She gets pretty well on her back and the best thing is that she gets her mouth out of the water for air so she knows where to go for her air, she just needs to relax a bit more so her stomach can stay up and her legs out so she floats better instead of trying to sit up in the water and going more vertical. So I tried to get some pictures/videos,but they aren't so great o/well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment